Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Race Day No.6: Silver Pail GP

Hello everyone, sorry for the late update on Sundays race, have been very busy and writing these blogs can be difficult, very difficult! So Sunday was the Silver Pail GP as ye know already, and its always a big race for me especially when its in your home town. It's always nice to get a result in front of the locals. If you're lucky enough to!

I woke around 9.30ish to have a big breakfast 3 hours before the race started, I usually do to let the process of digestion kick in and if the morning really goes well a number "2" will come before the race! After breakfast I started to get organised, went over to sign on which was only a few hundred meters from my house, which was extremely handy. When I got home the one thing I did before leaving for Castlehyde (Where the Start/Finish is) was tape the "Tour of Flanders" for viewing later on that night, and am I glad I did - Yes! On the cycle out with David I could tell it was going to be a tough day. Weather-wise it was hot but also windy which isn't good, especially on the Grange-Glanworth-Ballyhooly roads, where crosswinds and headwinds were pretty bad. God help the guy with the 808 deep sections he must have had it hard. I thought he might have been blown to Mitchelstown when I didn't see him for a while!

Anyway lets start to talk about the race itself, as soon as the flag dropped Robin Kelly of Comeragh CC attacked, and after winning the "Harry Reynolds Memorial" the day before it was clear he had good form and was a danger man! When I saw him attack I was thinking, "Oh no, I'm in for a tough day!". The first few kilometers were just attack after attack until eventually a group of 10-11 riders got away including my team-mate Michael Hennessy. Even though the break got away the pace was still very high in the bunch so I can only imagine the speed they must have been going in the break! People were getting impatient in the bunch and attacks were constant! But all but one got hauled back time after time. As the day went on things started to take there toll, staying near the front of the bunch means the pressure is on you to close gaps and hold wheels which can be tough sometimes, especially if your doing it often enough.




The 5 lap race was 100km in length overall and admittedly the last lap was a struggle, I could feel twinges in my legs which wasn't good and I hoped I could hold off a cramp until the end of the race. The main group seemed to be getting smaller and smaller throughout the day. I was looking at pictures from the first lap, then the last. Big difference! It was either a lot of people had been up the road, or out the back not 100% sure.






The last lap was a pretty tough one, I was definitely feeling the pain from my earlier efforts. The drags were difficult as people were still very aggressive with 90-odd kilometers in the legs! I was feeling good on the flat sections but the elevated areas were difficult. I thought I might just survive cramp as I knew the course so well and where to go easier and harder etc.. but no! On literally on of the last little hills my hamstrings completely locked up and I could go nowhere. And quite typically as I pedalled over the hill I could feel the cramp ease out when I got back on the flat but it was too late at that stage to get back on. There was only roughly a kilometer to go so it wasn't all that bad. Of course I wasn't the happiest afterwards but in reflection I was "a small fish, in a big pond", I still enjoyed the race and as a 17 year old I have plenty experience to gain! Every race I seem to learn more and more about technical aspects and when I start to put all these little things I'm doing wrong together, it should make a difference, well hopefully! So thats my quick enough re-cap on the Silver Pail don't want to bore people.

So since Sunday I've been in recovery mode. Yesterday I was pretty tired my legs were aching going up stairs, down stairs etc..  But today has been a bit better. I did an easy ride and had a massage straight after so hopefully that will help recovery! My physio has assigned exercises for me to do to strengthen certain parts of my body to try and avoid cramp happening again so I'm happy with that and if we can work together to keep my body at 100% its good news. So back to work tomorrow!

The plan for the weekend is to ride the "Edge Classic" in Minane Bridge, Cork. The Irish equivalent to the "Tour of Flanders" according to Tommy Campbell on Irish Cycling. Should be fun! I'll update on either Friday on Saturday on the build up to that and some news that I have to tell but for now, That's all! Excuse any bad grammar.. Stay Tuned!

Eoin

No comments:

Post a Comment