Saturday, January 22, 2011

New tyres, No puncture!

Well guys it's finally the weekend and 1/2 sessions are finished! The freezing temperatures on the spin weren't much help but I wrapped up well and got going around 1-1.30ish. After my recent run of bad luck in the flat wheel department I ordered new Continental HardShell puncture resistant tyres which arrived the day after thanks to the amazing service of Chain Reaction Cycles and today was a flat-free spin! The plan was to stick to the main roads that weren't as dangerous as some of the country roads, which would have been crazy to ride on. So I went out the Mitchelstown direction heading out the Cahir road where I'd turn after half of the designated time I was supposed to ride for. At the start of the spin I was so cold the fingers and toes were numb but as soon as I was climbing up Glocca Maura I was over heating, turns out I had too much  clothes on! I guess it didn't take too long to warm up. So I stopped to take off one pair of gloves and my neck warmer and got going again asap to avoid waiting around so I wouldn't get cold. The roads I rode on today are perfect roads for training, Big wide main roads with very little traffic it's like having the road to yourself for most of the ride.(Except for the times its windy- There not that welcoming then). When I turned back I was riding along the middle of the road as there was no traffic around and the whole left-hand side of the road was iced over so when I felt the back wheel moving slightly I knew it was time to ride on the opposite side of the road, Safety first people. Met a lot of riders on the road which was good to see, think it was 6 or 7 and ended up riding back as far as Glocca Maura on the way back with one- Davy. Overall it was decent ride. Resting up now and looking forward to tomorrow, hopefully the weather is a bit nicer to all of us cyclists. I'm sure ye'd all agree!

So the penultimate stage of the Tour Down Under is tomorrow and should be an interesting finale. Cam Meyer lead by 8 seconds to Matt Goss so, If Matt Goss wins tomorrow and Meyer fails to finish inside the top 3 then Gossy will win the tour! Personally I'd love to see Michael "Bling" Matthews win another stage. I think it's fair to say he is definitely one of the stars of the future at only 20 years old beating some of the top sprinters in the world very impressively on Stage 3. Can't wait to see more from him I think he's a class act!



Eoin

No comments:

Post a Comment