Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tales from Belgium..

Since my last blog update, I am happy to say I have competed in my first two "Junior" races here in Belgium. I am getting in a lot of time on my bike here also, not just training all the time but from easy rides down the Schelde to riding to watch races with some of the guys, it's a totally different world out here and I'm taking it all in and meeting a lot of new, very nice, people.

Zedelgem 1.14.3 Juniores - Saturday 11th June:

My first proper race in Belgium, and what a way to start. We travelled to the race near Brugge, the same Brugge in the Colin Farrell movie "In Brugge". We had met the Carpenters in the ASFRA shop the previous day and they had offered to take us as we have no transport. Dante is already a well established member of the ASFRA team, placing very well in lots of races here in Belgium. So it was great to be going to a race with someone like him and getting to ask him and his Dad (Nigel, ex-international rider) some questions about the racing etc..

Ok, onto the race. A few words to describe it - Start, sprint, dive, follow, lean, look, learn, sprint, bang! The bang being my chain popping off when I hit a massive lump of tar, and after only 4 laps (of 7km)! Having to stop to put it back on there wasn't a hope of me getting back onto the group, the speed is just to much! It was so gutting because my legs were good and I was just getting into it. Interestingly though, the races are run completely different here. When a rider gets dropped, which lots do, or if they have a mechanical etc.. A car follows the race and tells maybe 3 or 4 riders for eg. that they have only 1 lap to go and they then sprint for their position, so you an still get in the prizes without completing the full distance! Which means I ended up 44th with a 5euro note in my pocket. Although I didn't get the FULL experience I learned an awful lot and knew what to expect for my next race. I did manage to get my chain problem fixed thanks to Nigel Carpenter, 3rd time I had got it serviced but 3rd times the charm.

Bit of credit now for Dante, he was 3rd and probably the strongest rider on the day winning some primes on the way to the podium. Also, on Monday he was 2nd so there's lots to come for him! Great guy, great rider..

Waregem 1.14.3 Juniores - Monday 13th June:

This one was a bit closer, only 15km from Oudenaarde. With no idea where the race was or what time it was on. We got a unexpected call to our B&B at 10am from the ASFRA Racing Team manager Luc Assez who told me & Moll to be ready for 2.30pm as he would bring us, so that was great! Sign-on was a bit easier this time, the first time in Zedelgem I had to apply for a Calender card and swipe card, the purposes of both being to record how many races a week a Junior rider does (Only permitted 3 a week).

Warming up with Boyd

Pre-race lookabouts!
The day, weather wise was mixed. Very windy and showery! Which meant it was going to be a technical race. The race started very quickly with the first 2 laps of 5.2km was done in 14mins which was close to, if not 50km/h avg. And that's with corners, 6 to be exact!

From the gun!
Legs were really good, was in a few moves and got up in some sprint primes, which were done on the 2nd, 4th, 6th.. Up to the 14th, and we had 18 laps in total. Should have won the 4th, but was concentrating too much on trying to get away when the boys with me jumped! Throughout the day I raced well stayed in the right places and made the right splits and the peleton a such,  was gradually getting smaller and smaller, and at the halfway point around half the field had packed! I was the next one along with 2 others.. Unfortunately after 12 and a half laps, a few riders hit the deck in front of me, which opened a gap between me and the riders in the group. I rode as hard as I could do at the time, and with strong headwinds and crosswinds I just didn't have it in the legs to close the gap,  I did drop 2 guys in pursuit though, so I didn't go down without a fight! Although I didn't get an official result, as I rode home as quick as I could to avoid getting cold, going back on pictures I reckon I was around 25th. Which I was happy with as progression is being made!











Next race is Saturday in Denderhoutem and another Sunday in Ingooigem. I hoped to get three races a week in while here but I can't at this time of year as all or most of the Juniors are doing exams, therefore not as many races are being run!

Anyway to wrap this up, just gotta say it's hard to get the time to write these, the days just fly by! But I hope this was decent.. Stay tuned!

P.s. If you want to see some pictures, check my Facebook and Twitter as I'm having some trouble uploading them on here but as soon as I can I'll add them.. Thanks

Eoin

ALL PHOTOS COURTESY OF RONNY DE LANGE & KATHLEEN DE POTTER

No comments:

Post a Comment