Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekends Racing - Belgium

So another week has gone by in the "not so sunny, but wet and windy" Belgium. Two more races have passed and I can re-assure you, I've got what I came for.. An arse kicking!

Denderhoutem 1.14.3 Juniores - Saturday 18th June:

I had four or so days to think about the racing here, how it went last weekend and to try to wrap my head around it. And in Denderhoutem I learned something valuable, you can never ever predict how Belgian racing will go! We were left with no choice to get a taxi as the race was 30-40km away and as Hamish would say  - my "Old Mother Hubbard" couldn't walk, it would just be a tad too far. The race was run on 14 laps of 7km and no primes, and just to mention there was 17 corners a lap, it was wet (at points) and we were doing 10min laps.






The first few laps were as usual, small groups going up the road and on the second I made a big mistake. Speaking of mistakes, I heard a very good metaphor for making mistakes in races - "See yourself as an energy bar, and every mistake you make, you take a bite out of that energy bar" and you know what happens when you take a lot of bites! I had noticed close to half the race had been in the front group so I had a chat with myself and thought it might be smart to try and bridge. So I sprinted up the side turned and 90deg. corner into a block headwind, turned and noticed I had another rider with me. This was obviously a big effort by both of us and just as we got across reached a "Z" turn in the road and it had all come back together, what. a. waste. This two or three minute effort took a big chunk out of my energy bar!
I'm not going to go through every corner of the race just thought that point was valid.



I found myself in the main "group" for most of my race. When the showers came it got very nervous as "man-hole covers" and the "White paint" on the roads became slippy which meant lots of riders began to act like grannies on shopping bikes. Halfway around the 7th lap my legs gave in. I was getting cramp and when your sprinting out of every corner, it's impossible to keep up! It wasn't long before the broom had come and swept me and 3 other guys up. 26th I ended up out of 45 or so starters. Of course I was disappointed but I keep forgetting how hard it actually is here, you could never simulate it!

Ingooigem 1.14.3 Juniores - Sunday 19th June:

After getting my arse kicked Saturday I was hoping to ride better the next day, and I was. Again - we had to get a "De Meyer" taxi to the small town of Ingooigem. We got there nice and early and the officials at sign-on were very kind, the same guys that were in Waregem on the 13th. I decided not to over-analyse the race as that's what I usually do so I was in chill mode today and it worked! At the start of the race I had a bit of mechanical problems, while riding up the road about a minute or two before the race kicked off I couldn't get my chain into the big ring. I had to acquire the assistance of a very nice Belgian man. This same problem would later come back to haunt me..



This Kermesse was run on 11 laps of 8km, but with only 9 corners a lap this time. The wind was very strong with what seemed to be every type of wind except for a tailwind. The race was as usual, fast starting with lots of splits and line outs. Today I tried to play it a bit smarter and just sit back and leave everyone else close the gaps, and my legs were feeling good, probably as good as they've been! Until - after around 5 laps or so going into the smaller sprockets on a tight bend, my chain started to act up. 2 loud bangs and a big mash up. Same problem that happened at the start. I think I've figured it out - chain crossing! SRAM groupo's don't work properly if, let's say - your in the big chain ring and in the highest sprocket and visa versa. So maybe that was the problem but since I'm no expert as soon as I can I'll get the "Jimmy Hennessy" of Belgium - Luc Assez to check it out. Still ended up 26th out of 40 starters to round-up a very consistent weekend of racing, and I'm 10euro richer. Here's some more great pictures courtesy of Ronny de Lange and Kathleen de Potter:





Today, I was the most disappointed I've been after a bike race in a long time. To be let down by your equipment on a number of occasions is gutting. Sitting there watching and knowing you could have done so much better is even more gutting. But looking on the bright side, my legs were feeling really good, I've gained experience and I've another 2 races in Belgium under my belt. Don't they say it takes 6 weeks to get used to the racing here?

I'm sure there's more I want to say but it's passed my mind. The plan for this week is to rest up and get physically and mentally prepared for next weekend. Stay tuned!

Eoin.

No comments:

Post a Comment