Saturday, March 19, 2011

Race Day No.3 : Carrick Cabs Cup

Hello everyone, been a over a week since I've updated last as I've been busy running around the place and haven't had the chance to sit down and type up one of these. So what has been happening?

Firstly, last weekend. The race in Newbridge, decided to give it a skip for a weekend and get some training in instead. From what I hear there was a massive field and it was madness, a bit like the race I did yesterday in Carrick-on-Suir which I'll explain more about in a while. So to end my story on this - If it was anything like yesterday I'm delighted I didn't go.

During the week I didn't get up to much and nothing really happened, just the normal. On Wednesday we had a half day and I went Paintballing with the boys in Kartworld, Watergrasshill for David's birthday (By the way, not such a great idea the day before a race). The paintballs themselves hurt enough, but after the games we sat down and I almost forgot that I can't run, I really can't! Whenever I do run usually my legs could be sore for days, impact on the muscles I'm guessing. So that wasn't too good considering I had a race the next day, but then again I'm still young and need to have fun every now and again! I'll leave ye a with a pic of some bruises one of the boys got, some serious stuff:



Finally onto the Carrick Cabs Cup race held on Paddy's Day. Have to say it was strange not seeing the parade, first year I've ever missed it! Woke up nice and early to get a good breakfast in and get organised and the legs were in bits. Walking down the stairs was even sore, and not only that but I felt a cold coming on. Had a stuffy nose and sore throat - so that had me worried before we even left. When we arrived at Carrick-on-Suir I signed on, got ready all the usual stuff and decided to try and forget about how I'm feeling and just race. The race got underway at 12 noon. The A3's and A4's were racing together under a handicap of 2 or 3 mins over a 68km race. So when we got going the speed was high enough from the start and was always a bit dodgy. There was guys dodging cats eye's and nearly running into other people etc.. It was scary enough at times let me tell you! After the first lap we caught the large group of A4's on probably the only climb of the day and that when it all started to get a bit chaotic, there was around 150 riders, cars, crashes, jamming on the breaks and so on.. The race just wasn't enjoyable at all probably one of the most un-enjoyable races I've ever been in. Every time you'd move up towards the front around 10 or 20 guys would follow and come around you and block you in and then your back to square one again, and believe me that p*ssed me off big time! To be honest even writing this is annoying me so I'm going to fast forward a bit. The finish, what a disaster! They had a car parked on the right-hand side of the road with about 500m to go which caused me to stop completely as nobody would leave me out! Believe me, I wasn't too happy. Also my team-mate Olan crashed in the final stages, it was just terrible. This kind of stuff would only happen in Ireland.


Next on the schedule is the Des Hanlon Memorial in Carlow on Sunday, tough circuit and I hope to god it splits up- A lot! I wont talk too much about it, because I'll have nothing to write about in my next blog then.
Some details : Sign on in Eire Og GAA clubhouse O’Brien Rd Carlow - open at 9.00 am. Showers and changing rooms available and refreshments afterwards. John O Brien 085-2497556 / carlowrcc@gmail.com 150k/100k/60k 11am-11.45am Eire Og GAA Club, Carlow 087-9170704

Anyway I have to hit the road, busy busy! Thanks for reading everyone, I know this probably isn't one of my best updates but there will be better. Promise! Stay Tuned!

Eoin

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post.I want to thank you for this informative article, I really appreciate sharing this great post and enjoyed a lot.. Keep up your work..!
    Regards, cabs in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete